Manchester City Council

People & communities Didsbury West - Current Licensing Applications

Current Licensing Applications for Didsbury West

Any person may submit comments (known as a ‘representation’) in respect of a licence application for the grant, variation, minor variation or review of a premises licence and club premises certificate. A representation may be an objection to the application or it may be in support of the application but it must relate to the impact of the licensable activities carried on from the premises upon one or more of the licensing objectives. Representations to the variation of an existing licence should be confined to the subject matter of the variation. The licensing objectives are: 

  • The prevention of crime and disorder;
  • Public safety;
  • The prevention of public nuisance; and 
  • The protection of children from harm.

Therefore, where comments are not relevant to any of the licensing objectives, they cannot be taken into account. The grounds for any representation will be stronger if they have an evidential basis and link to the applicant’s premises. All persons are encouraged to take into consideration all relevant sections of the Council’s Licensing Policy, in particular the Local Factors set out at Section 7 and the Standards set out at Section 8, when they are assessing applications and deciding whether to make a representation on an application.

Representations must not be frivolous or vexatious:

  • A representation may be considered to be vexatious if it appears to be intended to cause aggravation or annoyance without reasonable cause or justification;
  • Frivolous representations would be those considered to concern issues which are minor and in relation to which no remedial steps would be warranted or proportionate.

You cannot make a representation anonymously and a copy of your representation, including your details, will be provided to the applicant. If you have concerns over an application but do not wish your personal details to be disclosed, alternative approaches include requesting a local councillor to submit a representation based on your concerns, or providing details on how the licensing objectives are likely to be undermined to a Responsible Authority. However, it will be at their discretion to make a representation if they consider it justifiable and appropriate to do so.

Further guidance on making a representation is contained at Appendix 2 of the Council’s Licensing Policy.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?