Water Street Framework (2011)
A Public Consultation was carried out, on the Water Street Framework. The document is available to download (please get in touch using the contact details below if you need any help with the website, or obtaining a copy of the document).
You can send in your comments or feedback on the Water Street Framework document by email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or by post to:
City Centre Regeneration, Room 318, Town Hall, Manchester, M60 2LA
The closing date for this consultation was 23 June 2011. Feedback received regarding this document was included in a report to the Executive Committee.
The Water Street area is a gateway to the south western edge of the city centre and is part of the Castlefield Conservation Area, however this site has suffered from a lack of investment over recent years despite its close proximity to the heart of Castlefield. It is now characterised by vacant and underused sites and buildings with poor public realm.
The report aims to create a new destination within the wider Castlefield area to enhance the economic potential of the area creating job opportunities, improve connections between other regeneration areas such as Spinningfields, First Street and The Corridor.
A series of key principles have been set out to underpin the vision namely:-
- Sense of Place
- Mix of uses
- Public Realm
- New high quality destination which will act as a catalyst for further regeneration in Castlefield, and which will complement regeneration strategies for the Regional Centre and inner areas of Manchester and Central Salford.
- A site-wide strategy that address all aspects of sustainability, achieving the right balance between social, environmental and economic objectives and providing an appropriate framework for the ongoing design, construction and operation of the development.
- The creation of a well-connected and revitalised City Centre district that will open up linkages to Castlefield, the City Centre and the relatively isolated St George's Island.
- An exceptional Public Realm, creating a new City Centre destination, transforming the immediate settings of Listed structures and the character of this part of the Conservation Area.
- A proposal that recognises Castlefield's distinct identity and richness of character, and creates a place that is distinctive
- Responding in particular to its heritage assets, canal basins and reinstating sections of the Rivers Medlock and Irwell into the City.
- The proposals will be truly mixed-use encompassing commercial and residential development and taking into account necessary supporting uses.
- A distinctive new destination for Manchester that adds to its unique character and is welcoming, inclusive, neighbourly, interesting and attractive and which properly caters for the functions which it will accommodate into the future.