The evidence we need for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support and where to take them
Give us the following items when you claim to help speed up your benefit payment and help with your Council Tax.
- Evidence of your identity and, if you have a partner, evidence of their identity.
- Evidence of your National Insurance number and, if you have a partner, evidence of their National Insurance number.
- Evidence of your income and, if you have a partner, evidence of their income.
- Evidence of all the income of anyone else living with you (including, for example, grown-up children, other relatives or friends).
- Evidence of all savings, investments and any other capital or stocks and shares held by you and your partner, including all bank and building society current and savings accounts.
- Evidence of your rent, if you pay rent to a private landlord or a housing association. We also need the name and address of the owner of the property. If your landlord is an agency or agent who manages the property for someone else, we need both the managing agent's name and address and the owner's name and address.
See the pages to the left for examples of evidence we can accept.
Don't send valuable documents through the post. You can take your documents to a reception point in your local area to get them checked.
Find your nearest benefits reception point
If you prefer to post your documents (as long as they are not valuable), send them to The Revenues and Benefits Unit, PO Box 3, Manchester M15 5BA. Make sure you put your name and address on evidence you send us.
Don't delay making your claim, even if you haven't got all the evidence now. But make sure we receive the evidence quickly (within the next few days if you can). If you don't get the evidence to us within a month, we may not be able to pay you any benefit at all, so tell us if you are having problems getting your evidence.