Manchester City Council

Benefits & support We sometimes overpay your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support

When your overpayment is caused by a change of address

We can't always avoid paying benefit at your old address after you have moved. If we do the benefit counts towards what you are entitled to at your new address.

This may cause a problem if you change landlords and we paid the landlord direct at your old address. Your old landlord may be able to keep the money we have overpaid them:

  • if you owed them rent; or
  • if you didn't give notice that you were moving; or
  • if you moved before your notice ran out.

If we have overpaid your old landlord more than the total rent you owed them, you should ask them to pay you the extra money back.

Tell us about your change of address

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?