Manchester City Council

Benefits & Support What is Housing Benefit?

Housing Benefit helps people on a low income pay some or all of their rent.

You can apply if you’re working or unemployed, unless you get Universal Credit. If you get Universal Credit your housing costs are included in that. 

If you live with a partner, only one of you can get Housing Benefit.

The Council runs the scheme but the Government sets the rules. How much you get depends on:

  • whether you have a partner
  • your income from working, and from things like benefits and pensions.
  • any savings or investments you have
  • the circumstances of other people living with you (their age and income for example)
  • the number of bedrooms you need
  • 'Local Housing Allowance' rules if you rent from a private landlord.

See how these circumstances affect how much benefit you get

If you’re single and under 35, you can only get Housing Benefit for a bedsit, or for a single room in shared accommodation.

We usually pay Housing Benefit weekly, from the Monday after we get your claim.

You only need to claim once. We'll check your circumstances and decide how much you can get. You must tell us straight away if your circumstances change. 

See if you can get Housing Benefit

Claim Housing Benefit

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?