Housing Benefit helps people on a low income pay some or all of their rent.
You can apply if you’re working or unemployed. If you live with a partner, only one of you can get Housing Benefit.
The Council runs the scheme but the Government sets the rules. How much you get depends on:
- whether you have a partner
- your income from working, and from things like benefits and pensions.
- any savings or investments you have
- the circumstances of other people living with you (their age and income for example)
- the number of bedrooms you need
- 'Local Housing Allowance' rules if you rent from a private landlord.
If you’re single and under 35, you can only get Housing Benefit for a bedsit, or for a single room in shared accommodation.
We usually pay Housing Benefit weekly, from the Monday after we get your claim.
You only need to claim once. We'll check your circumstances and decide how much you can get. Tell us straight away of if your circumstances change you straightaway.