Manchester City Council

Benefits & support Can you get Housing Benefit?

Housing Benefit is help to pay rent unless you already get help with housing costs from Universal Credit.

You can claim Housing Benefit

  • if you have a low income  from benefits or from low-paid work, including part-time work or self-employment; or
  • you are moving from benefits into work.

 You can also get a calculation first to see what you could get.

You usually need to have savings or capital of less than £16,000 (unless you or your partner have reached the qualifying age for State Pension Credit, and one of you gets the guaranteed part of that credit).

We run the scheme but the Government sets the rules. How much you get depends on:

  • whether you have a partner
  • your income from working, and from things like benefits and pensions.
  • any savings or investments you have
  • the circumstances of other people living with you (their age and income for example)
  • the number of bedrooms you need
  • how much of your rent counts for benefit
  • 'Local Housing Allowance' rules if you rent from a private landlord.

See how these circumstances affect how much you get.

If you’re single and under 35, you can only get Housing Benefit for a bedsit, or for a single room in shared accommodation.

You can sometimes get benefit when you are temporarily living away from home as long as you intend to return.

Housing Benefit can be complicated and there are exceptions to the rules. See who can't get Housing Benefit.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?