Manchester City Council

Benefits & support How savings, investments and property affect your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Capital we don't count when we work how much you can get

  • Money which is part of your regular income
  • The value of your home where you usually live
  • The surrender value of a life insurance policy
  • Backdated benefit paid to you by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) in the last year or so. We may count it as income.
  • Any payment from the DWP Social Fund (for example a funeral grant)
  • The assets of a business in which you are self-employed or were self employed until recently.
  • Personal belongings such as a car (unless you bought it to get benefit or more benefit)
  • Money in trust paid as compensation for personal injury
  • The value of any property that a partner or relative of any member of the family lives in, if the person living there is 60 or over or is disabled
  • Capital belonging to a child
  • Money from the Macfarlane Trust or the Independent Living Funds for severely disabled people (you don't need to tell us about these)
  • Money from the Skipton Fund (you don't need to tell us about this)
  • Money from the Caxton Foundation (you don't need to tell us about this)
  • Christmas bonuses for pensioners
  • Any payment of £10,000 if you or your partner were imprisoned by the Japanese during the Second World War, even if your partner received the payment but has since died
  • Any payment (apart from a war pension) made to compensate for the fact that, during the Second World War, you, your partner or any partner of yours who has since died, was a slave labourer or a forced labourer, had suffered property loss or personal injury, or was a parent of a child who had died

This is not a full list, there are other less common examples as well.

To claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support or find out what you are entitled to use our online form.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?