Manchester City Council

Councillor Sheila Newman

Our sympathies are with the family and friends of Councillor Sheila Newman, Executive Member for Children’s Services and current Lady Mayoress of Manchester, who passed away on 18 February.

Read our tribute.


Benefits & support If you disagree with our decision on Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support (and Council Tax Benefit)

Appealing to the Valuation Tribunal Service (Council Tax Support only)

You must write to us (the Benefits Service) first.

If you think our decision about your Council Tax Support is wrong:

  • Write to us first and ask us to look at the decision again.
  • You can write to us at any point to say you disagree with a Council Tax Support decision. There is no time limit.
  • We must reply to you within two months of getting your request.

You can only appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service after you have written to us

  • If we have looked at our decision again and you are still unhappy with our decision you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service. You must contact them within two months of the date of our reply.
  • If you have not heard from us and it is two months since you wrote to us you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service. But you must contact them within four months of when you first wrote to us.

What you can appeal to them about

You can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service about:

  • Whether you are entitled to Council Tax Support (they call it Council Tax Reduction).
  • How much Council Tax Support we have awarded you under our (the Council's) scheme.

You can't appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service about the rules we have put in our (the Council's) scheme.

You can't appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service about Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit.

How to appeal

Appeal to them online or download a form to fill in and send back to them.  Link to the Valuation Tribunal Service website.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?