Manchester City Council

Councillor Sheila Newman

Our sympathies are with the family and friends of Councillor Sheila Newman, Executive Member for Children’s Services and current Lady Mayoress of Manchester, who passed away on 18 February.

Read our tribute.


Benefits & support Local Housing Allowance (LHA)

If you rent from a private landlord there are different rules for how much Housing Benefit you can claim.

The amount you can claim is based on your Local Housing Allowance rate. You can check your LHA rate on the directgov website or we’ll work it out for you when you use the online claim form.

When you claim online we check if you can get Council Tax Support and free school meals too. That way you can apply for them at the same time and only have to fill the form in once.

We need your details and those of anyone else you live with. Don’t worry if you don’t have all the information now - you can save the form and come back to it later.

Sorry, but students can’t usually claim housing benefit. See Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support for students.

If you wish, you can also read the full rules for Local Housing Allowance.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?