Manchester City Council

Councillor Sheila Newman

Our sympathies are with the family and friends of Councillor Sheila Newman, Executive Member for Children’s Services and current Lady Mayoress of Manchester, who passed away on Sunday.

Read our tribute.


Benefits & support Claim housing benefit

If you need help paying your rent, you can claim Housing Benefit using our online form.

We’ll also check if you can get Council Tax Support and free school meals so you can apply for them at the same time and only have to fill the form in once.

People in some areas claim differently because they now claim help with their rent through Universal Credit. See when Universal Credit will affect you.

See what to do if you live in a Universal Credit area.

You need your national insurance number to claim. Don’t worry if you don’t have it with you now – you can start the form, save it and come back to it later.

Sorry, but students can’t usually claim housing benefit. See Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support for students.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?