Manchester City Council

Councillor Sheila Newman

Our sympathies are with the family and friends of Councillor Sheila Newman, Executive Member for Children’s Services and current Lady Mayoress of Manchester, who passed away last night.

Read our tribute.


Benefits & support Find out if you can get housing benefit

What to do if you live in a Universal Credit area

If you need help with your rent claim Universal Credit from

However, you should claim Housing Benefit from us if:

  • you have three or more children; or
  • you live in supported accommodation; or
  • you are Pension Credit-age.

Council Tax Support and free school meals

If you already get Universal Credit that helps with your rent you must still claim Council Tax Support and free school meals from us.

If you are not liable to pay council tax you can still just claim free school meals.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?