How to claim
You can claim free school meals as part of a new claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.
Or, you can claim free school meals on our free school meals-only claim form. Get one from your child's school or download a form to fill in and send to us.
We need to see evidence that the child lives with you and that you are responsible for them. For example, an original document:
- that shows you get Child Benefit for the child (this could be your Child Benefit award letter showing your current address); or
- that shows that the child is part of your household (this could be a Child Tax Credit award letter showing the child's name).
If you are already getting Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, you don't need to fill in a separate form to claim free school meals. But make sure that you tell us the name and address of your child's school - you can use our online change of circumstances form or contact us.
If you are an asylum seeker, don't fill in these claim forms - there is a separate procedure. You need to contact your child's school and show them evidence that you are an asylum seeker. The school can accept one of these documents as evidence.
- Standard acknowledgement letter (SAL) 1 or 2
- Letter from the Home Office
- Letter from a solicitor
- Application registration card (ARC)
The school will check your documents and arrange the free school meals.