Manchester City Council

Benefits & support Apply for free school meals

You can apply for a child that lives with you and you are responsible for - for example if you get the child benefit or child tax credit for them.

The child must live in the area covered by Manchester City Council and go to school in any area of Greater Manchester apart from Stockport. Manchester children who go to school in Stockport must apply to Stockport council.

If you live somewhere else apply to your own council.

We'll ask you about any benefits you, or your partner claim. You'll need your National Insurance number too, so have it ready before you start.

If you are making a claim for Council Tax Support or Housing Benefit don't apply here. We'll check if you get free school meals when you make that claim. If you already claim them but now have a child at school tell us about a change in your circumstances, to get free school meals.

All reception, Year 1 and Year 2 pupils can now get a school meal at lunchtime, but if parents who have a qualifying income apply for meals using our online form, their child's school can get extra funds of up to £1,320 for each child who is awarded Free School Meals. 

Children over 16, whose college or sixth-form is not part of a school cannot claim free school meals from us. But they can apply direct to their college.

Read what you should do if you are an asylum seeker.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?