Apply for a copy certificate
To apply, make sure you have the right information.
Apply online for a copy:
- birth certificate (choose full or a short, the fee is the same. For a first British passport, and most other purposes, you'll need a full birth certificate)
- death certificate
- marriage certificate
- civil partnership certificate
If you want to apply by post or in person, download an application form then send it or go to:
- Central Library for certificates before 1915, or
- Heron House for certificates from 1915.
Total cost: £11
This is made up of a £10 certificate cost, and £1 postage (including VAT). If applying in person, certificates will be available for collection or posted within 5 working days. If applying online or by post we aim to process your application within 5 working days.
This service is only available for events registered from 1915 onwards.
Total cost: £21
This is made up of a £10 certificate cost, and £11 non-refundable same day service charge per application. Certificates will usually be available within 1 hour. Premium service applications must be received by 3.30pm for them to be processed the same day.
Online or by Post
Total cost: £28.50
This is made up of a £10 certificate cost, £11 non-refundable same-day service charge, and a £7.50 (including VAT) postage charge per application.
The certificates will be posted using Royal Mail's guaranteed next day delivery, to the UK mainland and for overseas applicants will be sent Royal Mail Airsure or international signed for delivery. Applications must be received by 12 noon for them to be processed the same day.
How to pay
You can pay by:
- cheque or postal order (made payable to Manchester City Council)
- credit/debit card (required for online purchases)
A VAT receipt will be sent to you, with your certificate, to show VAT paid on postage.