Apply for a copy certificate
To apply, make sure you have the right information.
You can apply online for copy certificates.
- Apply online for a birth certificate (in the application form, you can choose a full or a short certificate; the fee is the same. For a first British passport, and most other purposes, you'll need a full birth certificate)
- Apply online for a death certificate
- Apply online for a marriage certificate
- Apply online for a civil partnership certificate
If you want to apply by post or in person, download an application form then send it or go to:
- Central Library for certificates before 1917, or
- The Register Office in Heron House for certificates from 1917 to the present date.
Total cost: £11
This is made up of a £10 certificate cost, and £1 postage (including VAT). If applying in person, certificates will normally be available for collection or posted within 5 working days. If applying online or by post we aim to process your application within 5 working days. However these timescales are not guaranteed. At the moment, due to a recent office move, it is taking around 10 working days, for certificates from 1917 onwards. If you require your certificate by a specific date, we recommend that you use the Premium Service.
This service is only available for events registered from 1917 onwards.
Total cost: £21
This is made up of a £10 certificate cost, and £11 non-refundable same day service charge per application. Premium service applications must be received by 10.30 am for them to be processed the same day, and will be available for collection from 3.00 pm.
Online or by Post
Total cost: £28.50
This is made up of a £10 certificate cost, £11 non-refundable same-day service charge, and a £7.50 (including VAT) postage charge per application.
The certificates will be posted using Royal Mail's guaranteed next working day delivery, to the UK mainland and for overseas applicants will be sent Royal Mail Airsure or international signed for delivery. Applications must be received by 10.30 am for them to be processed the same day.
How to pay
You can pay by:
- cheque or postal order (made payable to Manchester City Council)
- credit/debit card (required for online purchases)
A VAT receipt will be sent to you, with your certificate, to show VAT paid on postage.