The role of a mediator
Mediators help people to resolve their differences in a positive way.
The role involves:
- using mediation skills and training to help people resolve their differences, or to reduce the intensity of conflict;
- working with a co-mediator to assist people in dispute in finding a solution;
- developing empathy and a working relationship with the people in dispute;
- understanding peoples difficulties and promoting effective communication between them;
- taking responsibility for the mediation process, as described in the volunteer handbook and on the training course;
- reporting progress to the case work team, practise supervisor and team leader;
- following health and safety policies and procedures during mediation visits; and
- completing our annual skills certification programme.