The role of a mediator
Mediators help neighbours find solutions to their disputes. They work in pairs, and deal with common problems.
The role involves:
- using mediation skills and training to help people resolve their differences, or to reduce the intensity of conflict
- developing empathy and a working relationship with the people in dispute
- understanding the neighbours' difficulties and promoting effective communication between them
- taking responsibility for the mediation process, as described in the volunteer handbook and on the training course
- reporting progress to the case support worker, deputy manager or manager
- following health and safety policies and procedures during mediation visits
- completing our annual skills certification programme.