Manchester City Council

Social services Benefits and support for care leavers

16+ maintenance allowance

Some care leavers living independently, for instance if you have your own flat or a room in a shared house, get an allowance £57.90 a week.

To get this you need to apply through your social worker or personal adviser.

You are entitled if you:

  • are 16 or 17; and
  • have spent at least 13 weeks in care - either all in one go, or in total - since you were 14; and
  • have spent at least one day in care after your 16th birthday.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?