Manchester City Council

Councillor Sheila Newman

Our sympathies are with the family and friends of Councillor Sheila Newman, Executive Member for Children’s Services and current Lady Mayoress of Manchester, who passed away on 18 February.

Read our tribute.


Social services Benefits and support for care leavers

Further and higher education support

If you are a care leaver in further education, a traineeship or an apprenticeship you could get an allowance of £10 to £30 per week.

If you are a care leaver in higher education or university you could get financial support. This includes money towards your accommodation, your personal needs and an ‘incentive allowance’ to encourage you in your studies.

You have to apply through your social worker or personal adviser to get these.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?