Manchester City Council

Social services Benefits and support for care leavers

Costs for ‘corporate parenting’

This is an allowance that pays for things like birthday presents, clothes, holidays or things for religious festivals like Christmas presents.

This normally goes to whoever is looking after you, like a foster carer, but in some rare circumstances it may be paid to you.

This should have already been put in place for you as part of your pathway plan. If not, you need to speak to your social worker or personal adviser to get it arranged.

You are entitled to this if you:

  • are 16 or 17; and
  • are currently in care; and
  • have spent at least 13 weeks in care - either all in one go, or in total - since you were 14; and
  • have spent at least one day in care after your 16th birthday.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?