Manchester City Council

Social services Getting your own home

If you are ready to get your own home, think about what’s right for you. Some people can buy their own house, while others decide to rent. 

People who rent usually pay the owner (the landlord) a sum of money each month to live there. They are then called ‘the tenant’ and will be given a written agreement called ‘a tenancy’, giving the rights and responsibilities of the tenant and the landlord.

All care leavers aged 18 can become tenants and apply for:

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?