If you or someone who lives with you is an apprentice or a youth trainee, you may be entitled to a 25% discount off your Council Tax.
If there are only apprentices and trainees at a property there is a 50% discount.
In limited circumstances some school-leavers can also qualify for a 25% discount.
Who counts as an apprentice?
Someone who is:
- employed for the purpose of learning a trade, business or profession;
- undertaking a programme of training leading to an accredited qualification; and
- receiving a salary or allowance (or both) of no more than £195 a week before tax and insurance.
We will ask to see copies of the apprenticeship agreement.
Who counts as a Youth trainee?
Youth trainees are under 25. They also have an individual training plan funded by the Skills Funding Agency or Young People's Learning Agency.
We will ask to see some evidence of a training plan.
We may be able to make a reduction in Council Tax if there is someone in the property who is:
- 18 years old, has just left school or college and someone is receiving Child Benefit for them; or
- under 20, left school or college on or after 1 May and was doing a 'qualifying course'* until that date. In this case a reduction can only last until 31 October in the same year.
*A 'qualifying course' is one that lasts for three months or more and involves at least 12 hours' study a week for any qualification up to 'A' level.
Apply for a discount for an apprentice, youth trainee or school leaver
Print off the application form, fill it in and return it to us:
- Email - scan it and send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post - the Council Tax Service, PO Box 3, Manchester, M15 5BA
Can't print the form? Ring us on 234 5002 (9am - 6pm) and we'll send you one.
Sending us proof
Enclose any evidence of your training plan or apprenticeship agreement with your form and make sure your name and address is on them.
After you've applied for a discount
You must still pay the amount on your Council Tax bill until you hear from us.
- If you get the discount we will check every year that you're still entitled to it. Tell us if your circumstances change in the meantime as this may affect your discount. If you don't tell us you may have to pay a penalty.
- If you don't get the discount, you can report a problem with your bill.