You may be able to get a reduction or exemption on your bill:
- If everyone at the property is a student, the property is exempt. This means there is nothing to pay, but you must still apply
- If one household member (over 18) isn't a student, the property can't be exempt. The non student is responsible for the bill. They may be able to get a reduction
- If two or more household members (over 18) aren't students there is no exemption, but there may be a reduction. See other reasons for reductions.
You are classed as a full-time student for council tax if:
- you are 18 or over and at college, university or similar;
- your course lasts at least 24 weeks in the year; and
- it involves at least 21 hours of study a week; and
- the college or university considers your course to be full-time.
- you are also classed as a full-time student if you are 18 or 19 and on a non-advanced course like A-levels that lasts at least three months and involves at least 12 hours of study a week.
- your college or university must be in the UK or the European Union, you don't have to attend; you can be engaged in distance learning as long as you meet the other student criteria
- you must live in the UK.