Manchester City Council

Councillor Sheila Newman

Our sympathies are with the family and friends of Councillor Sheila Newman, Executive Member for Children’s Services and current Lady Mayoress of Manchester, who passed away on 18 February.

Read our tribute.


Roads & transport Road ownership, usage and plans

Ask the Council to take ownership of a private road

If you live on a private road you can ask us to take ownership - called 'adopting' the road.

But this can be a long and costly process. And it can only go ahead if all the residents on the road agree to the change. 

So get those agreements before you apply. 

If the road is part of a new development, and no-one lives on it yet, the developer will arrange for the road to be adopted and cover all the costs.  

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?