The Manchester Salford inner relief route is the main ring road around the city centre, including sections of Trinity Way, The Mancunian Way and Great Ancoats Street.
We know there are congestion problems, particularly the Dawson Street-Regent Road-Trinity Way-Water Street junction and the area around it. We are working with Salford Council to improve the junction so it can cope with the amount of traffic it gets. This will cut congestion in the area and on the ring road as a whole – getting people to where they want to be quicker.
It will be better for cyclists and pedestrians too. We will provide fully signalled pedestrian crossings and we’ll be keeping the bike routes through the junction, either as a cycleway or as a crossing shared with pedestrians.
The work will also mean new jobs and more investment for the city.
Advance works commenced in October 2017 and are due to complete by the end of March 2018.
The utility diversions for water, electricity and gas have been more complex than originally anticipated with additional works required that were not planned for. As a result of this, it is now necessary to work in the Highway which will require some limited lane closures.
From Thursday 18 January there will be lane closures and restrictions at the junction of Oldfield Road and Regent Road as follows:
Manchester bound off-peak lane closures (10.30am – 4.30pm)
- Thursday 18 January – Friday 19 January (2 days)
- Monday 22 January – Wednesday 24 January (3 days)
- Wednesday 21 February – Wednesday 21 Mar (4 weeks)
Liverpool bound off-peak lane closures (8.30am – 2.30pm)
- Monday 29 January – Friday 9 February (2 weeks)
In addition there will be:
- 24/7 closure of the nearside lane of Oldfield Rd (northbound) on its approach to Regent Rd from Monday 29 January to Friday 9 February (2 weeks)
- 24/7 full closure of Oldfield Rd (northbound) on its approach to Regent Rd from Monday 12 February to Friday 9 March
We’ll be improving six junctions:
- The junction of Dawson Street, Regent Road, Trinity Way and Water Street
- The junction of Regent Road and Ordsall Lane (Salford)
- The junction of Regent Road and Oldfield Road (Salford)
- The Mancunian Way, A56, A5067 roundabout
- The junction of Trinity Way and Hampson Street
- The junction of Hampson Street, East Ordsall Lane and Middlewood Street