Manchester City Council

Sports, leisure & the Arts Cathedral Conservation Area

The Corn Exchange

A grocery and provision market has been established on the site of the Corn Exchange since medieval times. A permanent building - of classical design - was first erected in Hanging Ditch in 1837. Construction work on the present building - to meet the growing requirements of the North West's Grocery and Provision Traders - began in 1890 and extended over a period of 13 years. The existing building, designed by architects, Ball and Else, is noted for its glass and steel roofed internal market hall.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

;