Manchester City Council

Sports, leisure & the Arts Cathedral Conservation Area

Manchester Training College

Hugh Oldham, Bishop of Exeter, founded and maintained the first Manchester Grammar School in 1515 on a site adjacent to the present Chetham's School, with an income derived from three mills established for that purpose on the banks of the River Irk. Located between Chetham's and Long Millgate the present structure designed by Alfred Waterhouse, and erected in 1870, is the third building to house the grammar school Since the removal of the school to Fallowfield in 1931 the building has accommodated the Manchester Training College.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

;