We help some people with their council tax in different ways:
- Council tax support: where we pay towards their bill based on their income, size of their family, who lives with them and the amount they have to pay.
- Discounts: we reduce the amount they have to pay, such as some people living alone.
- Exemptions: some properties are exempt from Council Tax because they are left unoccupied by the owner; for example if they are away studying.
People may be committing council tax fraud if they:
- Are working but do not tell us;
- Say they live alone when they do not;
- Claim at an address where they do not live;
- Say they are a student when they are not;
- Live in a house they say is empty; or
- Do not tell us about their full income, savings or capital.