Manchester City Council

Homes & property Council and housing association homes

Renting from a council or housing association is also called 'social housing', 'public housing', or 'not-for-profit housing'.

Rents in not-for-profit housing tend to be lower than in private renting, although the gap is closing. Tenants usually have more security, with long-term tenancy agreements, rights of succession (to pass on the home to family members when they die), and legal protection.

Big demand

But there's a big demand for this type of housing in many areas. Generally, the more urgent your need-to-move, the better your chance of a home. Some rehousing rules also give increased priority to those who make a contribution to the community.

Some housing is reserved for people over a certain age, to reduce the problems caused by conflicting lifestyles. In some areas you can get a home quickly if you are an older person, but may have to wait much longer if you are young.

If you want to go for a council or housing association home, you can register for rehousing and look for available homes on our partner-website, 'Manchester Move'. There's lots of information about other types of housing too.

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?