Manchester City Council

Births, marriages, deaths & nationality How to arrange a civil partnership

Giving notice of Civil Partnership

You may also be interested in information on marriage of same sex couples

Giving notice of Civil Partnership

Please note:  Civil Partnership is only available for same sex couples.

By law you have to give a notice of civil partnership, which is a formal declaration of your intention to enter into civil partnership. You are both required to give a notice of civil partnership and there is a standard fee for this. If you live in Manchester you must give notice to the Manchester Registration Service. If either or both of you live in another district, then you must give your notice(s) at your local register office(s) (unless advised otherwise for example, if either of you is a non-EEA National - see information for non-EEA Nationals at the bottom of this page).

Prior to giving notice you must have lived in the district where you are giving notice for a minimum of 7 clear days.

Please note that the civil partnership can only be formed at the venue you name on the notice of civil partnership. If you were to change the venue it would be necessary to give, and pay for, fresh notices of civil partnership; so, you need to have chosen your venue before you give notice. More information about the ceremonies and venues available in Manchester can be found using the links on the left of this page.

To make an appointment to give a notice of civil partnership at Manchester Register Office, you can:

  • make an appointment online.
  • telephone us on 0161 234 5005  (please note that this is a very busy line. If you have difficulty getting through, you can send us an email with your daytime telephone number and we will phone you back as soon as we can  email:

How much notice do we need to give?

You cannot give a notice of civil partnership more than 12 months before the date of formation. A civil partnership cannot be formed until 16 days after you have given the notice.

(You can provisionally book your ceremony up to two years in advance, if it is taking place in an approved premises in Manchester, or in the Pankhurst Suite at the Manchester Register Office - please see the links to the left for more information)

What do we need to produce?

You will need to make an appointment online, by phone or by calling in to the office.

At your appointment you will need to bring:

  • The current fee (see fees information link on the left of this page)

  • Proof of current address, this can be a utility bill, bank statement or driving licence. 

  • Evidence of nationality - A valid passport

If you do not have a valid passport please contact the Register Office for advice.

  • If you have previously been married or in a Civil Partnership in this or any other country and it ended in divorce, dissolution or annulment you will be required to produce the original court document.  If in this country you will require the decree absolute, dissolution certificate or annulment all of which can be obtained from the court where the divorce, dissolution or annulment was granted.  If your divorce, dissolution or annulment was in a different country you will need to produce the original document from the court and full translation if applicable.

  • If you are a widow, widower or surviving civil partner you will need to provide the death certificate of your former husband, wife or civil partner.  If you are not mentioned on the death certificate as the widow, widower or surviving civil partner you will also need to produce your marriage or civil partnership certificate.

  • If you have changed your name by deed poll or statutory declaration you will need to provide those documents.

  • Please note: All documentation must be original.  We cannot accept photocopied documentation.

Non-European Economic Area (EEA) Nationals

If either you or your partner are subject to immigration control, you must both give notice, together, at a Designated Register Office. Manchester Register Office has been given the status of Designated Register Office by the Home Office.

A full list of Designated Register Offices in England and Wales can be found on the website.

Prior to giving notice you must have lived in a district within England or Wales for a minimum of 7 clear days.


Abuse of immigration laws

We are working with the UK Border Agency to identify marriages and civil partnerships which seek to abuse UK immigration laws.

Anybody found to be arranging, facilitating or entering into a marriage or civil partnership solely to gain permission to stay in the UK risks arrest or prosecution. Foreign nationals may also face deportation and be barred from re-entering the UK for up to 14 years.

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?