How To Access Personal Information Held About You By The Council
What kind of information do Councils hold?
The Council holds a variety of information about people living in the city. For example, records are kept by: Library and Leisure Services, Education, Council Tax, Housing Benefit, Social Services, Planning and other services.
What are the rules about dealing with this information?
The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you certain rights, and also places legal responsibilities on organisations who process personal information about you.
The Act says that organisations collecting and holding personal information must be open about how it is to be used and must make sure that data is:
- Fairly and lawfully processed
- Processed for limited purposes
- Adequate, relevant and not excessive
- Not kept for longer than is necessary
- Processed in line with your rights
- Not transferred to countries without adequate protection
By law the Council is required to follow these rules.