Manchester City Council

Some services unavailable

Between 7pm Thursday 2 July to 9am on Monday 6 July, some services won't be available because of essential maintenance.

Services NOT available.


Homes & property High fuel bills? Get help

How to cope with high fuel bills

Are you struggling with the rising costs of gas and electricity? It's important to do something about it now, rather than let bills mount up.

Here are some simple starting points:

1. Contact the Home Heat Helpline (external site) - a free, expert service for vulnerable people - on 0800 336699. They can speak to your fuel supplier for you, and find out if you can get any extra financial help.

2. Contact your power supplier for advice and to see if they have special tariffs for low income customers. Contacts include:

  • British Gas - Fixed Price Tariff: 0800 320 200
  • EDF - Energy Assist: 0800 328 9010
  • EON - Age Concern Tariff (over sixties only): 0800 015 6784
  • Npower - First Steps: 0808 172 6999
  • Scottish & Southern, Southern Electric, Atlantic - Energyplus Care: 0800 622 838
  • Scottish Power - Carefree Plus Tariff: 08452 700 700

3. Apply for a grant or loan to get energy-saving measures in your home.

4. Contact Greater Manchester Energy Advice for energy-saving advice.

5. Check if you can save money by switching to a new supplier. Contact a free 'fuel comparison service' for advice. Or your current supplier may have a cheaper tariff than the one you're on now. You need old bills to make a comparison. You can do it by phone or fill out an online form. See (external site) for example.

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?