The hospital was founded in 1829 as the Dispensary for Children, at Ridgefield, Manchester. In 1853 a hospital was established on North Parade. It moved to Bridge Street in 1858 and was called the General Hospital and Dispensary for Sick Children. This in turn was then replaced by Gartside Street Dispensary in 1868 and Pendlebury Hospital in 1873.
In 1897 a convalescent home was built at St Ann's-on Sea, it later became part of Lytham St Anne's, Lancashire. It closed in c1970. A new dispensary was opened alongside the outpatients department on Gartside Street in 1907. The Hospital was granted permission to include the prefix 'Royal' in 1923 and is now called the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital.
When the National Health Service (NHS) formed in 1948 the hospital came under the authority of the Salford Hospital Management Committee, Manchester Regional Hospital Board. Since 1 April 2001 the hospital formed part of the Central Manchester and Manchester Children's University Hospitals NHS Trust.
We hold record for 1833 to 1995, including:
- patient records 1939 to 1995
- annual reports 1833 to 1967
- minutes 1865 to 1946
- papers, photographs, and printed material relating to the hospital's history 1875 to 1983
- staff records and report books 1888 to 1972
Some committee records are held by Central Manchester University Hospitals Heritage Archive.
How to access
Resources are available in the search room, please make an appointment.
Location of the site