Food - premises registration

  1. Summary

    There are currently delays in undertaking inspections of newly registered food businesses. Please be aware that you do not require an initial inspection from an Environmental Health Officer to start trading but you do need to register as this is a legal requirement. If you have any queries regarding your initial inspection then please get in touch via

    To store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises you need to be registered with us.

    Premises include restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans, food delivery vans and businesses run from home and pop up businesses.

    Typically if you run a food business for at least one occasion on an average monthly basis (or more) you must notify us about any premises you use for: -

    • storing; 
    • selling; 
    • distributing; and 
    • preparing/handling food.

    Anyone starting a new food business must register with us at least 28 days before trading commences.

  2. Application, guidance notes or terms and condition

    Guide to starting a food business in Manchester

    Application form

    Guidance notes

    Notify us of any change in circumstances i.e. change of name, cease trading etc.

  3. Processing and timescales

     If the application is satisfactory you will be added to the Food Register within 5 working days. 

    We will only contact you if there is a problem with your application.

  4. Validity and renewals

    Registration will remain in force until either the business ceases or registration is cancelled.

  5. Register

    To view the public register, email your request to:

  6. Complaints

    Contact us in the first instance.

  7. Email

  8. Eugo Logo

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?