Minor variation

  1. Summary

    Small changes to your premises may be made via the minor variation process, which is easier and quicker than the full variation process.

    The process may be used for changes such as:

    • small changes to the structure or layout of a premises;
    • the addition of authorisation for late night refreshment or regulated entertainment (such as performance of plays or film exhibitions);
    • small changes to licensing hours (but see below on changes that relate to alcohol);
    • revisions, removals and additions of conditions (this could include the removal or amendment of out of date, irrelevant or unenforceable conditions, or the addition of volunteered conditions).

    The Minor Variations process cannot be used to:

    • add the retail or supply of alcohol to a licence
    • extend licensing hours for the sale or supply of alcohol at any time between 11pm and 7am;
    • increase the amount of time on any day during which alcohol may be sold by retail or supplied;
    • extend the period for which the licence or certificate has effect;
    • transfer the licence from one premises to another, or vary substantially the premises to which it relates
    • specify, in a premises licence, an individual as the premises supervisor;
    • add the sale by retail or supply of alcohol as an activity authorised by a licence or certificate; or
    • disapply the mandatory conditions relating to a designated premises supervisor (there is a separate process by which community premises can apply for this).

    *You must also inform us if the registered address of the club changes*

  2. Fees


  3. Application and guidance notes

    Apply for a minor variation

    Guidance notes and notice

  4. Attachments required

    • plan of the premises (only required if the variation includes changes to the internal layout of the premises); and
    • the current licence.

  5. Processing and timescales

    You must advertise your application for a period of 10 working days starting on the first working day after the application was made to the licensing authority.

    You can operate as though the minor variation has been granted if you have not heard from us within 15 days of acknowledging the application; providing we received a full application and you received a acknowledgement from us.

    The certificate shall be updated and re-issued within 28 days of the grant of the minor variation.

  6. Policy

    Read the premises licensing policy

  7. Legislation


  8. Validity and renewals

    The certificate is valid whilst the premises is being used for licensable activities and is subject to an annual fee. The annual fee is due on the anniversary of the grant of the certificate, an invoice shall be sent to you. If you do not want to use the premises for licensable activities please ensure you surrender the club premises certificate.

  9. Register

    The electronic premises licensing register is currently unavailable. a copy of the register is available for inspection on request, please email premises.licensing@manchester.gov.uk to make an appointment to view between 9am - 5pm at the Licensing Unit, Level 1, Town Hall Extension, Manchester, M2 5DB.

  10. Complaints

    Contact Licensing in the first instance.

    Please note that there are no grounds for appeal against decisions made with regard to minor variation applications.

  11. Contact us


  12. Eugo Logo

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.