To drive a hackney carriage (black cab), private hire, non standard private hire or limousine vehicle in Manchester you must hold a valid driver licence issued by us.
Before you make an application you must read: Become a licensed hackney carriage or private hire driver in Manchester.
If you had a licence and it has expired, you will have make a new application. If you submit this within 14 days after the expiry date, we will fast track your application.
The application fee is £255 and you will also have to pay for:
- basic skills assessment £42.00;
- knowledge test fee £74.00; and
- enhanced disclosure DBS application/certificate, £66.60 - you pay directly to CBS Ltd (we’ll let you know how to do this later). You must complete, pay and submit the application before you attend your appointment.
If you already hold a licence and are applying for a new additional licence (either hackney carriage or private hire), you may not need to pay for all the above.
Application, guidance notes or terms and condition
When we have received this we will send you an email with a link for payment, which must be made online
Processing and timescales
Once your form and correct payment have been received you will be:
- Sent a date and time to attend a face to face appointment with the taxi licensing unit; and
- DBS certificate application - we will provide the Complete Background Screening House (CBS) with your details. They will email you with instructions on how to apply and pay £66.50 for your DBS certificate application (payment is direct to CBS). You need to do this before attending your appointment.
You must bring to the appointment the following documents:
- Current passport; Non UK citizen, please provide passport and visa;
- ‘Right to work in the UK. Document(s) from either List A or List B, that shows you have the right to work in the UK as a hackney carriage or private hire driver;
- DVLA driving licence photo card;
- DVLA licence summary; you can find this using this link https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence;
- 1 recent colour passport photograph (no sunglasses or hats allowed);
- 1 recent utility bill (no more than 3 months old) showing your name and address, (for example, gas, electricity, bank or credit card statement), mobile phone statements are not acceptable;
- National insurance number showing your name issued by a government agency or a previous employer i.e. P45, P60;
- Group II medical certificate (Medical form) - you do not have to have this until after you have taken your skills assessment unless you have a current medical condition that you need to advise us about; and
- DBS Consent form - you will need to fill in the DBS Consent Form prior to us submitting your application.
Validity and renewals