Manchester City Council

Permission to permanently close a highway - stopping up order

  1. Summary

    If you are planning to permanently close a highway you need a stopping up order under section 116 or section 247 of the Highways Act.

    Our online form will work out which order you need.

  2. Fees

    We will not process your application until you pay a deposit:

    • section 116 - £4,000
    • Section 247 - £1,500

    We will contact you to inform you of any further charges.

  3. Application, guidance notes or terms and condition

    Download the guidance before applying.


  4. Legislation

  5. Complaints

    To the Highways Department

  6. Email

  7. Eugo Logo

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?