Essential maintenance

There will be minor disruption to some website services this evening. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.


Temporary event notice (TEN)

  1. Summary

    A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) may be submitted to authorise licensable activities for a limited period of time.  Licensable activities which may be authorised by a TEN are:

    • the retail sale of alcohol (at any time);
    • the provision of regulated entertainment (at any time); or
    • the provision of hot food or hot drink (between 11pm and 5am).

    Under certain circumstances, entertainment (Plays, Dance, Films, Indoor Sporting Events and Boxing or Wrestling Entertainment) is exempt from regulation.

    Entertainment and circumstances where authorisation is not required:

    • Plays - between 0800 and 2300 each day (where attendance is 500 or less);  
    • Dance - between 0800 and 2300 each day (where attendance is 500 or less); 
    • Films - screening of a not for profit film exhibition, held in community premises, between 0800 and 2300 each day (where attendance is 500 or less);
    • Indoor Sporting Events - between 0800 and 2300 each day (where attendance is 1000 or less); and 
    • Boxing or Wrestling - contest/exhibition or display of Greco-Roman wrestling, or freestyle wresting between 0800 and 2300 each day (where attendance is 1000 or less).  

    Please note that a Temporary Event Notice can only authorise licensable activities for events with an attendance of 499 people or less, including staff. 

    Notice period

    You must give a minimum of 10 clear working days’ notice of a standard TEN or a minimum of 5 working days for a late TEN. Working days are Monday to Friday. The day you submit the TEN and the day the TEN starts cannot be considered part of the notice period.

    Submission of ‘late’ TENs is limited to 2 per premises per annum.

    Authorisation of a TEN is subject to certain limits. The premises user is permitted:  

    • 50 events per personal licence holder, 5 events per non-personal licence holder, per calendar year.    The maximum number of events submitted per premises user is 50 for a personal licence holder and 5 for a non-personal licence holder;   
    • 499 people per event at any one time. The maximum number of people who may attend a temporary event at any one time is 499, but please note that this includes people working at the event (bar staff, performers, stewards etc) as well as any audience or customers; 
    • 168 hours per event. A temporary event may last no longer than 168 hours from the start time (this is equivalent to seven days);
    • 15 events per place. The maximum number of events per place within a calendar year is 15; and
    • 21 days per place. You are permitted 21 days, or part days, of temporary events per place. Please note that in relation to a TEN, the 2003 Act defines a day¬Ě as a period of 24 hours beginning at midnight, so if you hold a temporary event that continues beyond midnight (from 11.00pm until 1.00am the following morning for example), this counts as two days off the 21-day maximum per premises.  

    Exceeding the above permitted limits makes the premises user liable for prosecution. 

  2. Fees


  3. Application and guidance notes

    Guidance notes

    Guidance on noise control for open air concerts and events.

  4. Attachments required

    A plan (if relevant)

  5. Processing and timescales

    The TEN will be acknowledged within 1 working day and sent to both Greater Manchester Police and the Licensing and Out of Hours Compliance Team, who may object within 3 further working days.

  6. Legislation

  7. Register

    The electronic premises licensing register is currently unavailable. A copy of the register is available for inspection on request, please email

  8. Complaints

    Contact Licensing in the first instance

  9. Contact us

  10. Eugo Logo

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?