The pavement licence scheme was introduced on 22 July 2020 and provides a streamlined consent route to allow businesses such as cafes, bars and restaurants to obtain a licence to place temporary furniture, such as tables and chairs, on the public highway adjacent to their premises.
You may still apply for a tables and chairs licence under the Highways Act using our standard table and chairs licence application.
There will be no fee for this type of licence.
Application and guidance notes
This licence only authorises the use of removable furniture on an area of the highway adjacent to the business premises:
You may only apply if your business is :
- a public house, wine bar or other drinking establishment; and/or
- for the sale of food or drink for consumption on or off the premises.
Any furniture must only be used:
- to sell or serve food or drink supplied from, or in connection with the relevant use of the premises and/or
- by other persons for the purpose of consuming food or drink supplied from, or in connection with relevant use of the premises.
Only the use of following furniture may be applied for:
- counters or stalls for selling or serving food or drink;
- tables, counters or shelves on which food or drink can be placed;
- chairs, benches or other forms of seating, and
- umbrellas, barriers, heaters and other articles used in connection with the outdoor consumption of food or drink
You will be required to submit a scale plan of your proposed licensed area, which shows:
- The intended setup of the area including any proposed furniture, so the location of any heaters must be shown
- The distance from the boundary of the licensed area to the building boundary
- The width of the route left available on the highway for passage by pedestrians. You must also include and show any street furniture e.g. lampposts / bike racks, that are between the boundary of the licensed area and rather the kerb. In all cases, a minimum width of 1.8m clear passageway must be left for pedestrians and applications providing less than 1.8m will be rejected.
- You must submit images of any temporary structures or coverings you propose to use.
- Your application must state all the furniture types that you intend to use as your licence will be limited to this.
You are required to display a notice at the premises when you have submitted your application, and email to us a photo of it on display.
Planning and street trading consents are not required