Request a refund on your council tax account

You can request a refund to be paid to your bank account if your council tax account is in credit.

For payments made by credit card, debit card or direct debit from a bank account, we will refund the credit to the card or account the payments were made from. If this is not possible, we will refund the credit to the bank account you give us on this form.

You can also request a refund if the liable council tax person has passed away leaving a credit on their account. To do this you must have proof of executorship. You will be asked to upload the proof when you are completing this form. You can upload .pdf, .jpg or zip files. The file must not be bigger than 15mb.

We can only issue a refund to one of the people named on the bill so, if two people are named, you must upload signed authorisation from the other named party for your refund to be processed.

Once you have submitted the form, we will consider your request within 10 working days.

We will only make a refund if you do not owe us any other council tax. We may use any credit to reduce other Council debts. If we cannot issue you with a refund, we will contact you to tell you this.

Using this form

You have about 20 minutes to complete each page. Don’t use your normal ‘Back’ button to return to an earlier question, use the ‘Previous’ button on the page you are on. Questions marked * can’t be left blank.