The Council and democracy Re-use of Public Sector Information

Open Data

Before you request information from us you should check if it is already available via our Open Data Pages.

Re-use of council data

The Re-use of Public Sector Information Regulations came into force on 18 July 2015.  'Re-use' means using public sector information for a purpose other than the initial public task it was produced for.

The Regulations provide that any information that we produce, hold or disseminate within our public task must be re-usable by members of the public, unless the information is restricted or excluded

Statement of Public Task

Manchester City Council's public task consists of the core roles and functions of the council as defined in legislation or imposed by other means. Our role is to meet our statutory obligations and to exercise our powers and duties in areas where we have a duty to act under various Acts of Parliament, such as the Local Government Acts and several Acts relating to the Council's safeguarding role.

Functions devolved to the Council are as diverse as social care and waste collection. The Council also has a regulatory and enforcement role for example relating to planning and licensing activities.

You can find a list of duties and statutes applicable to local authorities at  

Relationship to access to information provisions

The Re-use of Public Sector Information Regulations 2015 enable the re-use of information and explain how this information is to be made available. They do not make provision for accessing information which is dealt with under information access information such as the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the Environmental Information Regulations 2004.

Under the Re-use Regulations, any information that we produce, hold or disseminate within our public task must be re-useable by members of the public unless the information is restricted or excluded.

Excluded information

The Regulations do not apply to recorded information we hold if someone else holds the intellectual property rights (for example by way of copyright). We can only permit re-use if we hold the intellectual property rights in the information.

Other information that is excluded under the Regulations is:

  • Information that falls outside our public task
  • Parts of documents containing only logos, crests or insignia
  • Information that contains personal data
  • Information exempt from disclosure under information access legislation e.g. Freedom of Information Act 2000.

List of information assets

Our information asset register is currently under review an updated register will be published in 2018

Charging for re-use

We may charge for a licence to re-use the information provided. Charges will normally be disbursement costs, such as postage or cost of copying as outlined in our charging policy.

If information is placed on our website or sent in response to a request under information access legislation, it will be available for re-use free of charge under the terms of the Open Government Licence unless otherwise stated on our website.

View our Data Protection - Subject Access Requests

Making a request for re-use

To be valid request, it must:

  • be in writing
  • state your name and address
  • specify the document you want to re-use
  • specify the purpose you intend to use it for

Your request can be made by applying to

Democratic Services Legal Team
Chief Executive's Department
Town Hall
M60 2LA

Or email

Time limit for response

We must respond within 20 working days of receipt of your request. This time can be extended if the information is extensive or the request raises complex issues. We must inform you of any delay within the first twenty days of receipt.

You do not need to make a request if we have already made the information available under the Open Government Licence by publishing it or through a request information legislation, but you must follow the terms of the Open Government Licence.

How to complain

If you are dissatisfied with the way the Council handled your request you can channel your complaint via the Council's Complaints procedure.

If you are still unhappy after the Council complaints procedure has been completed you can contact the Information Commissioner at:

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House Water Lane

Tel: 0303 123 1113
Fax: 01625 524510

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.