Who can get one
These children may be able to get a free pass:
- Manchester residents at a state funded Manchester secondary school more than 3 miles but less than 15 miles from home if there is no nearer, similar school.
- Manchester residents at a school outside Manchester between 3 and 15 miles from their home if there is no nearer, similar school.
- Manchester residents at state funded secondary schools less than 3 miles from home if the child could not be expected to walk the route and there's no suitable school within walking distance.
- Children who have ever been 'looked after' by Manchester City Council, including children in care, fostered or adopted, whose school is more than 2 miles from their home.
- Children in year 10 or 11 who have recently moved to Manchester and want to stay at a school outside Manchester that is 3 to 15 miles from their home.
- Children with a statement of special educational needs – but contact us on 0161 219 6400 before applying.
- Children, at a non faith school more than 2 but less than 6 miles from home, who get free school meals, or whose parents get maximum Working Tax Credits or Universal Credit if there are less than 3 nearer similar schools nearby.
- Children at a faith school that is more than 2 but less than 15 miles from home who get free school meals, or whose parents get maximum Working Tax Credits and there are less that 3 schools for the same faith nearer to home.
- Some children in temporary or homeless families accommodation.