Manchester City Council

Social services Equipment and adaptations for independent living

Major adaptations

Some people may require major adaptations to their home to enable them to live as independently as possible.  

You would need to have a home assessment to determine what adaptations would be appropriate for you based on your needs, and also to ask more about your housing arrangements, e.g whether you are a tenant or a homeowner, for example, as the rules are quite complex.  We will explain this based on your individual circumstances as the application progresses.  

Funding may be available to help pay for the cost of a major adaptation, through the Disabled Facilities Grant. You can read more about the grant on the Gov.UK website.

Get in touch to arrange a service

If you think you might benefit from an adaptation to your home, get in touch with us through the Contact Service on 0161 234 5001.  

When you do, we'll ask you some questions about the things you're having difficulty with, as there might be lots of other products or services, including a community alarm, equipment for daily living, or less intrusive 'minor adaptations', which could help you stay as independent as possible.

You might also like to have a look at Help and Support Manchester, our directory of services, opportunities and activities, many of which are free and could help to maintain your independence and promote your wellbeing.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?