Health and wellbeing Help for people with alcohol problems

Sign Video

What do we do?

The alcohol care management team provide a community care service for individuals experiencing any difficulties linked to alcohol use. This would include assessment for residential rehabilitation and arranging rehab that most meets an individual's particular needs.

The team can also support people to access other "dry" environments and supported accommodation.

Where more appropriate the team would also assess and assist people to access "wet" accommodation and work with the person in moving towards safer planned drinking levels.

The team can work with those who are continuing to drink at dependent or harmful levels. We will work with them to identify and remove any barriers preventing them addressing their alcohol use, for example difficulties with housing, benefits or other everyday problems.

We will also work alongside our health partners in providing advice on safe drinking or planned reduction in drinking.

We will complete community care assessments for those who are experiencing physical ill health linked to their alcohol use, where necessary we can arrange packages of care to assist individuals experiencing physical ill health or physical disability to continue to live independently in the community.

The team will also work with the families and carers of problematic drinkers, we recognise the great difficulties and stresses of caring some someone who is struggling with alcohol.

We will offer to complete carers assessments allowing carers the chance to express any difficulties they are experiencing and to explore support that may help or reduce their caring role.

Who is it for?

People who have a problem with alcohol, and their carers.

How do I know if I'm eligible?

A community care assessment will identify whether an individual meets the eligibility criteria, and the care package will be built up around their recommendations.

If you care for someone with alcohol problems, you can get a carers assessment even if the person with the alcohol problems does not get services, or refuses our help.

How do I apply?

The Contact Service for Social Care is the first point of contact.

Who else can help?

Details of a wide range of care and support groups for people who have issues to do with alcohol misuse can be found on Help and Support Manchester

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.