Safer travel in our taxis and private hire vehicles
We are responsible for licensing hackney carriage (black cabs) and private hire vehicles and their drivers in the city.
Both hackney carriage and private hire drivers are issued with a drivers badge showing their photograph, licence details and expiry date. This badge must be worn at all times so that it is showing clearly. See the taxi register.
When taking a taxi or private hire:
- only take one you can trust
- make sure you have money to get home and that your mobile is fully charged
- pre-book your return vehicle before going out and arrange to be picked up from a safe meeting point
- ask at the time of booking what the fare is likely to be
- if possible, ask the pub, club or restaurant you're in to book you a taxi and wait inside until it arrives.
- know when child car seats are required by law
Private hire vehicles
Never get into a private hire vehicle you have not pre-booked as it will not be insured to carry you and may not be licensed. All private hire vehicles licensed by us are either white or silver in colour. When using a private hire vehicle:
- book with a licensed operator
- ask if there’s a call-back service
- confirm your booking with the driver when they arrives
- note the licence number
- always sit in the back, behind the driver
- let your friends or family know when you are going home.
Hackney carriage vehicles
All our licensed hackney carriages are wheelchair accessible and can carry 5 or more passengers.
- hackney carriages fares are calculated using a meter. If your journey is outside of the Manchester boundary, the driver doesn't have to use the meter – please discuss the fare with the driver before you start your journey
- only hackney carriages (black cabs) can be flagged down in the street (they can also be pre-booked)
- find out where the taxi ranks are and try to choose ones staffed by taxi marshals.
The Suzy Lamplugh trust’s have been campaigning for the licensing of operators and drivers of minicabs with the Live, Life Safe campaign. Every year hundreds of crimes, including many rapes and sexual assaults, are linked to illegal and unlicensed minicab drivers, visit the Suzy Lamplugh website to see how you can stay safe.