Applying for a British passport at the same time as using the Nationality Document Return Service
You can apply for a British passport at the same time as submitting your documents through the nationality document return service. You can do this if:
- you are applying online for citizenship
- you are using the nationality document return service
- your personal details match your identification and your citizenship passport application forms
Please note if your current details do not match your identity document you cannot apply for a passport at the same time. Any application made where details do not correspond may be refused a British passport.
If you wish to apply for a passport at the same time as citizenship for your family members, anyone over the age of 15 years and 6 months will need to attend the appointment in person.
If you intend to submit an application for a British Passport at the same time you must only use the paper applications, obtained from any post office, and book your appointment to include the passport application.
This easy, efficient service has been developed in partnership with the Home Office. If your citizenship application is successful and a ceremony is attended, your new passport will be dispatched to your home.
(Please do not contact Her Majesty's Passport Office (HMPO) or UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) about your passport until 20 working days after the date of your citizenship ceremony.)
Please remember that you should not make plans to travel on a British passport until you have received it.
If you choose to use the Joint citizenship and passport application service, please follow the steps below when filling out your passport application:
- complete sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 (if applicable) and 9 of the passport application form. You don't need to complete section 10 or have your 2 photographs certified as details of referees will be collected as part of your citizenship application
- the photographs you submit with both applications must be identical (i.e. from the same sitting) and comply with the photo standards in the application guidance. The applicant's name must be written on the back of the photographs. You don't need to get these photos certified as details of referees will be collected as part of your citizenship application
- section 1 - if you are within 6 months of your 16th birthday at the time of application, you must attend the appointment in person
- section 2 - do not enter a mobile phone number in section 2 of the application form. Please enter it in Section 8 instead
- section 4 - grandparents’ details are not required
- you must complete the payment mandate on Page 25 of the application guidance. Please ensure that the security number of the card is entered in the appropriate box.
If you are unsure about any requirements, leave the section of the form blank and complete it at your appointment.
The service costs an additional £10 (incl. VAT). This additional fee is for a passport application submitted at the same time as your citizenship application. We do not offer the passport only check and send service, which is provided by the Post Office.
Please call the Manchester Register Office on 0161 234 5005 Option 5 to book your appointment.