How many bedrooms the LHA rules say you need
This may be different from the number of bedrooms in your home.
There are different rules if you are under-35.
You are allowed one bedroom for each of these:
- a couple
- a single adult or young person aged 16 or over
- two children under ten of either sex
- two children under 16 of the same sex
- any other child
- a carer providing you or your partner with regular overnight care but not living with you
- a child with a severe disability who can’t share a room
- a foster child (or children) - if you’re an approved foster carer but waiting for a child to be placed you can count an extra room for them for up to 52 weeks.
- a former non-dependant (usually a son or daughter) who is a member of the armed forces but away on operations and intending to return.
Now you know how many bedrooms you are allowed you can check which LHA area you are in.