Benefits and support Local Housing Allowance (LHA) for private tenants

If you are under 35

You usually get the ‘shared accommodation rate’ of LHA, even if you live in a self-contained one-bedroom flat or in a house where you have sole use of more than one room.

There are exceptions - You will not be restricted to the shared accommodation rate:

  • If someone lives with you as part of your household, for example, a partner, child, older relative, friend or grown-up child.
  • If you get the middle or higher rate care part of Disability Living Allowance, or the daily living part of Personal Independence Payment.
  • If you are under 25 and have been in the care of a council since you were 16, or housed by a council since you were 16.
  • If you live in supported housing that is provide by a housing association, registered charity or voluntary organisation with a package of care and support from your landlord or someone on behalf of your landlord.
  • If you need an extra bedroom for a carer who doesn’t live with you but provides you with overnight care.
  • If you are an approved foster carer.
  • If you have lived in a hostel for homeless people or a hostel that provides rehabilitation and resettlement within the community for at least three months. You must have also received resettlement support to help you live in the community.
  • If you are an ex-offender (aged between 25 and 34) and your housing has been arranged for you through Multi Agency Public Protection Arrangements (MAPPA). You don’t need to tell us if this applies to you, one of the agencies will tell us.


Since October 2022 - You will not be restricted to the shared accommodation rate:

  • If you have been a victim of domestic violence or abuse, whether threatened or inflicted, since the age of 16 or over; and you have written evidence of this from a person acting in an official capacity such as a healthcare professional; a police officer; a registered social worker; or your employer.
  • If you are a confirmed victim of modern slavery who has had a positive 'Conclusive Grounds' decision from the Relevant Competent Authority at the Home Office.
Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.