Benefits and support Local Housing Allowance (LHA) for private tenants

If you live in shared accommodation

If you and your partner have sole use of a bedroom but share other rooms like the kitchen, bathroom, toilet or living room, you usually get the shared accommodation LHA rate which is usually lower than the one-bedroom rate.

There are some exceptions - 

You get the one-bedroom rate instead if:

  • one of you is severely disabled and getting the middle or higher rate care part of Disability Living Allowance; or
  • one of you is under 25 and has been in the care of, or housed by, a local authority since the age of 16.

You get the two-bedroom LHA rate instead if one of you receives overnight care from a carer who does not live with you.

If you are single, over 35, living alone and share some parts of your accommodation you get the one-bedroom rate instead if:

  • you have sole use of at least two rooms, counting only bedrooms and living rooms; or
  • you have sole use of one room and sole use of a bathroom, a toilet and a kitchen or cooking facilities.
Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.