Benefits and support How your circumstances affect Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Some people are not eligible to claim Housing Benefit

Most working-age people who need help with rent should now apply for Universal Credit

Pension-age people can still apply for Housing Benefit unless their partner is working-age. Check the rules.

Even if you are someone who would still get Housing Benefit rather than Universal Credit, you will not be eligible for Housing Benefit if any of these apply:

  • You pay rent to a close relative who lives with you.
  • You live in a care home, nursing home or older persons' home.
  • You rent a home from your ex-partner and you both used to live there.
  • You are the parent or guardian of your landlord's child.
  • You live in the home as part of your job.
  • You are an asylum seeker who has not been given refugee status or indefinite or exceptional leave to remain in the UK.
  • You have been admitted to the UK on condition that you have 'no recourse to public funds'. However, if you are part of a couple and your partner is allowed to claim, they should make the claim for you both.
  • You are a sponsored immigrant who has lived here for less than five years.
  • You are in the UK illegally or your permission to stay has run out.

And you may not get Housing Benefit if any of these apply:

  • You used to live with your landlord as a family member, relative or friend and now pay that person rent.
  • You live in a property that is run by a religious order of which you are a member.
  • You rent from a trust and you are a trustee or beneficiary of the trust.
  • You rent the property from a company of which you are a director or employee.
  • You used to own the property which you now rent.
  • You are a student.
  • As an adult you have lived with a tenant (other than your partner) in the same property and the tenancy has now been changed into both your names. It depends on why the change was made.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.