Benefits and support Universal Credit

Mixed age couples, pensioner couples and single pensioners: help with housing costs

A ‘mixed age’ couple is a couple where one member is pension age  and the other is working age.

Mixed age couples not already getting Housing Benefit or Pension Credit - you must claim Universal Credit  if you need help with housing costs. You should state at the same time that you also want to claim Council Tax Support to help with council tax. More about claiming Council Tax Support

Mixed age couples already getting Pension Credit - you must claim Housing Benefit if you need help with housing costs.  Use our online form and we will work out if you can get help with your council tax at the same time.

Please note: if you are part of a mixed-age couple already getting Housing Benefit, you can still make a new claim for Pension Credit, you don't have to claim Universal Credit.

Single pensioners and couples who are both pension-age - Universal Credit is not open to you. You can continue to claim Pension Credit through the Pension Service, and if you need help with housing costs claim Housing Benefit separately from us. We will work out if you are entitled to help with your council tax at the same time.


Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.