Benefits and support Tell us about a change

Let us know if something in your life changes that affects your benefits


The law says you must tell us if there is any change to the information we used to decide if you get Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support.


Tell us about changes to:

  • your home details: for example if you change address, change your tenancy, or get a new landlord
  • your payments: for example who we pay benefit to, or the way the benefit is paid
  • your circumstances and your partner’s circumstances: for example your name, your job, the benefits you get, your income or savings, if you are away from your home for more than four weeks, or if someone starts getting Carer's Allowance for looking after you or your partner
  • the people you live with: for example their name, job, the benefits they get, their income or savings. Tell us if someone moves out or a new person moves in.
  • your children: such as starting school, work or further education.

If you’re not sure - tell us anyway.

Make sure you tell us as soon as possible. If you don’t you may not get what you’re entitled to. Or you may get too much and would have to pay it back - or even have your benefit stopped. You could even face criminal charges for fraud.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?